Z3 rear window replacement

• Thread starter Toni M. McDonough
  • Start date
T

Toni M. McDonough

I think I messed up my previous thread, so I'll try again. When I joined the forum, I posted a question about plastic rear window replacement and received alot of information. I wanted to say thanks to all who responded and let them know that I did it myself and it went pretty well. I purchased the new window through Bavarian autosport for $89.95 plus shipping and followed the instructions on the web site I was referred to. If I can do this myself, most do-it- your- selfers could. It took a little longer than the instructions estimated. We had a little trouble getting the zipper started. The zipper is a nylon coil which is black on black cloth. The end of the new zipper had a burr on it and until we figured out to snip it off with a nail clipper, we couldn't get it started in the metal zipper mechanism. We wrestled with it for over an hour and a half.
I also was not sure about the metal clips that get installed to keep the zipper from unzipping. We did not have enough overlap of the starting and ending points of the zipper to install them as shown on the directions I obtained from the web, so we secured it as close to possible to the end and used a few stitches at the very end just for extra security. (By the way, no instructions come with the window. However, the photos and instructions on the web were great.) All else went pretty well according to the instructions. I have had it in over a month now; no leaks so far; and I take very good care of it. I think it was worth it, and I would do it again.

If anyone knows the best daily cleaner to use let me know. I've tried Mcguires mirror glaze and am not real happy with it.

If I can be of any help to another adventurous soul, let me know.

tmcd

Big Daddy

I have been using the Mcguires numbers 10 & 11 I think, cleaner and polish? I have had good luck with them, were we using the same thing? Regardless great post, and a prime example of much of the good advice you get on this website.

Cool![headbang]

Glad to hear it went well for you! A friend and I replaced the rear plastic window on his S2000 and I can relate to your zipper issues![?|] Defiantly a fun project though![thumb]