Z3 upgrades

Here are all the upgrades I performed last week.
1. I replaced my 3" speakers behind the driver's and passenger's seats with 4" speakers.

2. I painted my brake calipers green.

3. I installed gutter guard in the front end.

4. I will be installing my amp shortly. I just got it today.

5. 6.5" speakers in the kickboard are yet to come.

6. New subwoofer speakers are yet to come.

7. CAI, exhaust, chip, and supercharger are distant. [;)]

The speakers were between a 3 to 4 hour job. It took me over 2 hours for the first speaker and a little over 30 minutes for the second one. I used MZ3.net to do the install. Great article!

The brake caliper job was about 5 to 6 hours of work. I applied three coats of paint. Also, I had to let the paint dry for 24 hours so you could say it took a day overall. I hacked off my rear passenger side brake sensor while wire brushing my caliper clean.
I tried to splice it back on, but the wire was cut too closely to the sensor. I'll be buying a new one soon. [mad]

The gutter guard was pretty tricky without taking off the bumper. I managed to get some holes in the front end and apply twisty-ties. I know it sounds cheap, but McGuyver wasn't around so I had to think all by myself.
You can't even see the twisty-ties unless you look really closely. I have some touch up paint I'm gonna slap on there to make them even less visible. The gutter guard job was about an hour and a half. Thinking was where I spent most of my time since I had no idea what to do. BEWARE....gutter guard is very sharp! [B)]

I'm going to use MZ3.net to install the amp. I hope it fits where the old amp is right now. If not, I will have to think again.
I'll try to do the job without twisty-ties this time!

I'll post some pictures once I get them.

Last edited:
WOW busy weekend. I just took the JL 8" sub out of my old chrysler just to see if it would fit in the trunk of the Z3. It does without wasting too much room (has a custom built box). I think the Coustic amp which only supplied power to the sub in the old car will come out next. I will have to see how to wire that as well. I want to run that along side the original amp and just feed the Sub. My son is a car stereo installer in NY (im in Tampa) Best Buy, I'm gonna ask him for directions for the install.

bonzo said:
WOW busy weekend. I just took the JL 8" sub out of my old chrysler just to see if it would fit in the trunk of the Z3. It does without wasting too much room (has a custom built box). I think the Coustic amp which only supplied power to the sub in the old car will come out next. I will have to see how to wire that as well. I want to run that along side the original amp and just feed the Sub. My son is a car stereo installer in NY (im in Tampa) Best Buy, I'm gonna ask him for directions for the install.
Sweet! You'll have to post pictures of your handy work. I'm still gettin' around to putting mine on here. It's a work in progress. [hihi]

Bonzo,

Here is my thread for help with my amp and subwoofer. There are some decent links on there if you're upgrading your sound on a Z3.
Also, make sure to check MZ3.net. Lots of good info on there!

grc

do you have a supercharger kit chosen yet? reason i ask is because Downing/Atlanta recommends a stock "chip". advanced ignition timing in a boost situation is not good. actually those with the knowlegde suggest that the ignition timing be retarded above 5 psi. i believe the stock engine management will work well to protect the engine from detonation. i'm running at 8 psi, zoom zoom

grc said:
do you have a supercharger kit chosen yet? reason i ask is because Downing/Atlanta recommends a stock "chip". advanced ignition timing in a boost situation is not good. actually those with the knowlegde suggest that the ignition timing be retarded above 5 psi. i believe the stock engine management will work well to protect the engine from detonation. i'm running at 8 psi, zoom zoom
I have not chosen a super charger yet. That upgrade is still in what I like to refer to as "dream phase". [;)] I got the quote from Downing/Atlanta. If I plan on the super charger, I probably won't do the RAM air or chip. Right now, I can think of a lot of other things to spend $3500 on. I love to get a hottub!

Bear thanks for the help. My wife just got a new memeory stick for the digital but now I'm on the road until next Friday (Chi Town). I'll take some pictiures and then post them when I return home.

Make sure to take the pictures on a sunny day. They always turn out so much nicer when it's sunny! [hihi] I'll be lookin' for pics. I still have to post some of my mods. I don't get home until 20:00....so it's tough to squeeze them in. I'll get to it eventually. [xx(]