Z3 vs. Z4

I drive a 323 convertible and have been looking at Z's for other family members. What are the differences between a Z3 and a Z4? I know the 4 has a longer hood, but that's all that is apparent. Is the interior larger?

Big Daddy

Yes the interior of the Z4 is roomier than that of the Z3. I am a big guy, 6'1"/245lbs and drive an M roadster (z3 vintage) and love it. It can be tight on long runs but I love the sports car feel and do not mind it. The Z4 is a more refined car and the Z3 more a "sports" car in my humbnle opinion.

The Z3 will handle and ride more like your 323, it actually shares a number of suspension components with the 3 series. As Dan said, the Z4 is a totally new design, and it is much tighter and stiffer than the Z3. Some people claim it is a "rough ride" but that means thay really shouldn't be driving a Z4 in the first place - it's not intended to be a comfort cruiser.

MGW-Fla

I believe the larger cause of the stiff ride is the run flat tires. The stiff side walls cause the ride to be harsh. They have a very soft compound on the tread with only a 140 tread wear rating. My next set of tires will not be run flats & will have a higher tread wear rating. Porsche for instance will not use run flats & I asked the head of service at the local Porsche dealer why & he said cause of the stiffer ride characteristics when using run flat tires.