325e not running right

This is the second time i have had this problem. As i am driving the car will have a severe loss of power or if I push the clutch in as I am slowing down to stop, the car will just cut off. The car will start right up again and then die (it will not idle.) Although if i give it gas as I start the car, it will idle and run fine until it happens again. The first time this happened I changed the fuel filter and it seemed to have fixed the issue, but now I fear my fuel pump is faulty (it seems to be making a buzzing sound?). It seems as though my car has 2 fuel pumps (one in the tank and another under the car on the driver's side). The one under the car is making the noise. How can I test the pumps and if necessary, how difficult is it to replace them? Thanks again,
Brian.

i would check the ignition coil terminal..mine split slightly and exhibited intermittant cutouts and immediate restart as well...would just happen for no reason it seemed....just a guess...good luck....cliff

=iliad;203750]This is the second time i have had this problem. As i am driving the car will have a severe loss of power or if I push the clutch in as I am slowing down to stop, the car will just cut off. The car will start right up again and then die (it will not idle.) Although if i give it gas as I start the car, it will idle and run fine until it happens again. The first time this happened I changed the fuel filter and it seemed to have fixed the issue, but now I fear my fuel pump is faulty (it seems to be making a buzzing sound?). It seems as though my car has 2 fuel pumps (one in the tank and another under the car on the driver's side). The one under the car is making the noise. How can I test the pumps and if necessary, how difficult is it to replace them? Thanks again,
Brian.[/QUOTE]

The priming pump in the tank is the one that buzzes/should buzz every time you switch your ignition on, It fills the lines from tank pickup to the main pump in front of your rear left wheel arch ready for starting, while driving, your main pump will buzz quietly which is perfectly normal.

This is what my local BMW dealership service department have told me about our old fuel systems.

First try changing over a known good fuel pump relay and see what happens.

check your spark plugs, lol.

all the fuel pumps buzz...under the rear right passanger seat area...known problem but has nothing to do with the performance of the car...believe me....cliff

perhaps your local BMW dealership sucks, because that's wrong...no filling of lines...what? no offense but that is total bullcrap....

The priming pump in the tank is the one that buzzes/should buzz every time you switch your ignition on, It fills the lines from tank pickup to the main pump in front of your rear left wheel arch ready for starting, while driving, your main pump will buzz quietly which is perfectly normal.

This is what my local BMW dealership service department have told me about our old fuel systems.

Do you know where the fuel pump relay is?
I'll check the plugs just for fun ^_^
This is really odd though, because the car will be running perfectly fine and then it will just quit. It has done this in colder weather and warmer weather.

no....BMW does not place fuel filters nor fuel pumps within the engine compartment...too dangerous (insane in fact)...we are talking about a stock e30 here right?

the fuel pump relay is right next to the 'main relay' as it were, hidden under a little plastic cover in front of the fuse box on the drivers side, seldom an issue yet frequently suspected... best of luck....cliff

no....BMW does not place fuel filters nor fuel pumps within the engine compartment...too dangerous (insane in fact)...we are talking about a stock e30 here right?
Well my 325e with a STOCK fuel system has a fuel filter IN the engine compartment just below and in between the brake fluid reservoir and the power steering reservoir. I know this for a fact because I changed it myself.

so you have a 4 cylinder 325e?

Well my 325e with a STOCK fuel system has a fuel filter IN the engine compartment just below and in between the brake fluid reservoir and the power steering reservoir. I know this for a fact because I changed it myself.

okay, my old 1986 325e had a fuel filter located in the engine compartment. Fact. It is mounted on the frame rail, under the brake cylinder, which is a real pain in the ass to get at. My peice of crap 1988 325i has one mounted under the drivers side rear just before the wheel arch. Cliff, not every E30 is exactly the same. And just to make sure, there are cars with Motometer and VDO gauges, siemens and bosch electronics, ate and girling brake calipers... etc. Stuff is different, okay? We all know that 325e's only run on 4 cylinders half the time, so there's no point being sarcastic. BTW, the filter on my 525i is on the passenger side above the rear axle. Different again.

As far as the pump relay goes, like Cliff said, seldom an issue, but always suspected ('cause it's the easiest thing to replace, so you pray that's what the problem is, only to have your hopes shot down... like in the middle of winter on a -30 degree night in the middle of nowhere, so you get out to jiggle the relay, and nothing.... call the tow truck:( )

Big Daddy

And RealOem lists a "pre-supply pump" for the fuel system of an 85 325e, it looks like a fuel filter and is located just as described by "Doughnut." Pelican Parts also lists a presupply pump and an in tank pump for said car.

okay, my old 1986 325e had a fuel filter located in the engine compartment. Fact. It is mounted on the frame rail, under the brake cylinder, which is a real pain in the ass to get at. My peice of crap 1988 325i has one mounted under the drivers side rear just before the wheel arch. Cliff, not every E30 is exactly the same. And just to make sure, there are cars with Motometer and VDO gauges, siemens and bosch electronics, ate and girling brake calipers... etc. Stuff is different, okay? We all know that 325e's only run on 4 cylinders half the time, so there's no point being sarcastic. BTW, the filter on my 525i is on the passenger side above the rear axle. Different again.

As far as the pump relay goes, like Cliff said, seldom an issue, but always suspected ('cause it's the easiest thing to replace, so you pray that's what the problem is, only to have your hopes shot down... like in the middle of winter on a -30 degree night in the middle of nowhere, so you get out to jiggle the relay, and nothing.... call the tow truck:( )
I changed out the fuel filter today and poured some fuel injector cleaning liquid in my gas tank and it hasn't cut off on me yet. Although i believe there is something wrong with the fuel pump, it sounds like there is air in the gas line.
Just gonna keep my fingers crossed.

The fuel pump might have something blocking the pickup... just a thought. Usually when the pump goes, it goes. Smetimes you can thump on the back seat and bring it alive again. If you want to test the pump, you can put an inline pressure gauge between the regulator and pump. Not sure what it should read, but the manual should tell you.