e30 engine conversion (slow process thread)

Very nice you should have all the parts by now, yes?
Nope, still need clutch components, driveshaft, manual engine wiring harness and TPS, also need e28 535 radiator and engine mount brackets and should be set to go!

Hey man! What mount position you planning on using?
More than likely engine position 3 (I wanna hammer the firewall [:I]) I'm interested in using my "vast" welding knowledge to make my own engine mounts but if some where cheap enough that I could buy online and know they woulden't "get lost in the mail" I'd go down that route.

Nice man, should be cool once you get it all together
Cheers, still got a while to go yet, have to save pennies for each new part I buy.

Although not an m50, this m30 came from an e34... Scotty should be so proud!

Indeed! Now you just need a car to put it in![joke] Damn, I'm going to have to do something with that extra E30 sitting in my driveway, but I think it's just going to become a ski machine (the 1988 325i is back). So when did you decide you had to do this? Getting dusted by your friends too often, eh? Keep the pics coming.

What are you going to drive in the meantime?

Getting dusted by your friends too often, eh? Keep the pics coming.

What are you going to drive in the meantime?
Well, thought I should do at least ONE engine conversion in my life (before fossil fuels are no longer) and the need for speed is killing me.

I'll be able to keep up with my mates in their holden commodores and kill them in the corners!

I'm still driving the e30 on the old m20, I'm just gathering parts in the mean time. I'm going to take a week off work latter down the track and swap the boat anchor in!
Bought a gasket kit today:

Pictured is head gasket, valve cover gasket, valve seals, assorted gaskets (timing case, oil filter housing, inlet manifold gaskets) Rear main and front crank seals, cam front seal and rear cam sealing gasket, exhaust manifold gaskets. Not pictured is sump pan gasket and few others.

Pics to come of the inlet manifold, I just finished painting it gloss black and sanding back the bmw ribs and "3.5" on the side [xx(]

sweet... paint that valve cover next. Keep track of your total cost for me will ya? I don't suppose you've bought the turbo for it yet?[}:)] I still have some vacation time, but it's $2000 for a flight to give you a hand putting it in... sorry... although I'm sure it would be some good times[drinking] as well as a learning experience.

Awe thats too bad... NA is fine though with that engine. It just means you'll keep up with your mates, not blast their doors off:)
Man, if you were in North America, I'd be there... but $2G's is alot of money that I could drop into my baby... you know, she just rolled over 260k kms! She's gunna need paint soon, and the engine won't last forever, and suspension bushings are going to need replacing soon. New clutch just installed last week. So maybe I'll learn from you and when the time comes, I'll do the same conversion. Unless you wanna pay me to help you and let me stay at your place for free!! I'll just pack my coveralls, my tools, my drinking hat, and we'll get ripped all night!

I was looking at the first pic and noticed that the gearbox that used to be on the motor was an auto, and I was thinking - oh gay.

And then I see the manual getrag. You lucky ****er - they're rarer than rocking horse shit over here.

Therecfore you have a "Clutchsnappy", or Snappy Clutch...
I was going to get a heavy duty clutch but then thought "why?" - stock m30 with stock e30 diff I will baby this monster untill I work out some sort of diff that will put up comfortably with the torgue, then I'll go down the route of heavy duty and raping my e30!
I'm going to be swapping a large case e28 lsd centre into my small case e30 open diff, or swaping the output flanges from the small case e30 diff onto the large case and using that which I believe is possible?? If not I'm trucked!

All i need now is a e28 535i radiator and I'm set to go!

Here you go, update of where the m30's at:

Trying to find out how far I press the spigot bearing into the back of the crank shaft, should I press it all the way in untill it is flush with that lip inside?:

Probably general knowledge, but I don't want to **** up.

Get a measurement on the bearing and on that lip. Too bad the old one wasn't in there to compare... I would think that it would stop once it hits the lip... other wise, it's not that hard to pull back out again (might cost you the bearing) ...maybe Cliff will pipe up here with the answer.