e30 engine conversion (slow process thread)

Sounds like you're making quick work of this job. I expect some video and sound clips when you're done!

I'm no computer wizz, I'll have to look into how I'm going to put videos and sound clips on the net.

Anyways, got the m30 started today!! Fit the tail shaft up, plumbed the cooling system put the radiator in and started to fill the header tank when... The sides of the radiator (where core meets plastic side tanks) started to leak!!! and that was under no pressure! when I squeezed the top hose you can hear the water escaping, and a small pin hole down the bottom squirts! GRrrrrRRRRrr[bigcry]

That aside, three great things when the m30 kicked over.

1. Oil pressure,
2. Alternator charge,
3. Idles steady.

Gave me a huge grin for like minutes!

cheers guys I'll up load photo's in a sec

Need to get my post count up to match Scotts 1200 + post count!! [:)][:)] j/k

So I went and bought a new oem radiator (got good price on this guys) :

Arrived at my door a couple of days ago (day after I found that the one I had was unserviceable).

I install it tomorrow then the e30's off to the exhaust shop.

Ok, So yesterday (after installing the radiator) I finally got to drive the e30 335i... With open exhaust manifold...

The torque curve on this car now is very acceptable, pulls hard and continues to through every gear! unexpectedly the starter motor (motor itself) has taken a shit, after picking up my girlfriend and smashing around all the local streets for a few minutes, I took it back to work and pulled the starter off (just in time before my shift started!) I've sent the starter to the auto electricians to be rebuilt, should be back soon, THEN, off to the exhaust shop!

Ok, So yesterday (after installing the radiator) I finally got to drive the e30 335i... With open exhaust manifold...

The torque curve on this car now is very acceptable, pulls hard and continues to through every gear! unexpectedly the starter motor (motor itself) has taken a shit, after picking up my girlfriend and smashing around all the local streets for a few minutes, I took it back to work and pulled the starter off (just in time before my shift started!) I've sent the starter to the auto electricians to be rebuilt, should be back soon, THEN, off to the exhaust shop!
Damn man, it sounds as though your pockets are endless. Every time something goes awry you just replace it and keep going ^_^.
Nice job with the conversion, i wish i had the knowledge to do what you are doing.

e30 is at the exhaust shop, stand by for pic in the next couple of days!!
Going twin pipes from exhaust manifold, collector too "2 1/2 inch pipe then cat (with o2 sensor), resonator, then too a rear muffler with single "3 dump chrome exit (as apposed to twin dump chrome exit that was on the old system)

Damn man, it sounds as though your pockets are endless. Every time something goes awry you just replace it and keep going ^_^.
Nice job with the conversion, i wish i had the knowledge to do what you are doing.

I'm an apprentice diesel mechanic, I've spent countless hours researching the swap and getting all my parts together and doing it myself which, IMO, has saved hundreds.

One good thing to have when you do something like this is contacts! The starter was rebuilt for nothing (done work for the guy), I know the guys at the exhaust shop and are looking after me, also got all my m30 bits and pieces from a good bloke at my local Euro wreckers which has alone saved mt hundreds of dollars too.

iliad all the info is on the net and waiting for your disposal!

Looks great Joseph, I wish I had the time... What have you done with the wiper fluid reservoir?
I plan on putting a small one where the battery used to be. It's not going to be BMW part though.